Following the introduction of a new Practice Direction in
April 2018, this 20-minute session will examine how the legislation, practice
and procedure in relation to s38 cross-examination has changed.
Lecturer, criminal practitioner and part-time deputy
district judge Olwen Davies will discuss the Criminal Procedure Rules and
relevant case law with a view to answer the following questions:
- When should an appointment be made?
- Who can or should be appointed?
- What materials should you be given and when?
- Who do you owe a duty to?
- Who decides if you can stay on beyond the cross-examination?
- Which hearings beside trial should you attend?
- Can you refuse an appointment?
- Who pays and how?
What are the requirements?
- Watch the recorded webinar, review the slides and complete the optional evaluation form to test your legal knowledge.
- On completion of this course you will:
- • Be familiar with the April 2018 Practice Direction and its impact on anyone offered a court appointment or undertaking a s38 cross-examination
- • Be aware of the pitfalls to watch out for when undertaking s38 work
- • Have considered the issue of payment in both the Magistrates and Crown Court including how you can lose out by representing the defendant once the s38 appointment is fulfilled
What is the target audience?