Section 136 of the Mental
Health Act 1983 (the MHA) allows police intervention in the case of someone who
appears to be suffering from a mental disorder and who is in a public place, to
be taken to or kept in a “place of safety”.
The Policing and Crime Act
2017 (the PCA) has brought about quite significant changes to s136.
Intended as an introduction
or reminder for those specialise in mental health law and tribunal work, this session
will examine the changes to the PCA and will focus on the following:
- Provisions of s136
of the MHA
- Changes to what
is regarded as a “Public place”
- Changes regarding
a “Place of safety”
- Change in length
What are the requirements?
- Watch the recorded webinar and review the reference notes and optional evaluation form to test your legal knowledge.
- This course provides 0.5 – 1 CPD points (depending on length of time spent reviewing the supporting documentation).
- On completion of this course you will:
- • Be familiar with the changes made to s136 of the MHA by the PCA
- • Feel confident when advising clients regarding s136
What is the target audience?
- Mental health practitioners