This course would cover the current SRA position and guidance on conflict of interest under the Standards and Regulations. It would also look at the history - how did we get to this point and what has gone before? The course is intended to be comprehensive in it's coverage of regulatory conflict.
There have been major changes in conflict regulatory rules and guidance over the over the past fifteen years despite the concept of conflict itself not changing. The course will attempt to develop in the learner a solid grounding in the idea of regulatory conflict of interest, and the ability to discuss conflict in terms that go beyond the SRA current rule book.
The course will also examine recent cases, decisions and major turning points in conflict, discussing own interest conflict, putting things right, and why cases become so difficult to unpick and resolve once there is a conflict. The course would also intend to cover the recent controversial case of SRA v Howell Jones, putting the case in historical context to demonstrate the wealth of past knowledge and experience we can apply to the situation.
Time permitting, the course could also cover the contrasting position with the Council for Licensed Conveyancers rule book.
The case of SRA v Howell Jones will put many off producing courses in conflict. I think putting it in context will be very credible, and will allow COLPs and COFAs to develop both their understanding of the situation and confidence in dealing with conflict. The case was in 2018 and I have not seen much detailed analysis available since then, meaning some COLPs, COFAs, and compliance officers could be left wondering what the case means for them and their complaint handling. I think this will be a useful course in light of the new SRA Standards and Regulations and helpful as a benchmark course in conflict.
What are the requirements?
- Watch the recorded webinar and review the documents
- This course provides 1 CPD points
- On completion of this course you will cover:
- The current SRA position and guidance on conflict of interest under the Standards and Regulations
- Case Law involving Conflict of interest
- Position with the Council for Licensed Conveyancers rule book
- Major changes in conflict regulatory rules and guidance over the over the past fifteen years
- The new SRA Standards and Regulations
What is the target audience?
- COLPs and COFAs or any practitioner involved in Conflict of interest situations