During this course Solicitor-Advocate Darren Flick will use hypothetical scenarios to encourage viewers to think about what they would and should do in practice and will offer guidance on how to deal with tricky situations such as obtaining instructions late and last minute defence witnesses.
This course will consider each of the following topics/scenarios in turn:
- Preliminary Hearing / PCMH
- Early guilty plea scheme and what if any negotiations should you have with the prosecutor?
- Crown Court Trial
- The Process
- Engaging with the jury
- Closing Speeches
- Make your speech return the verdict you want; Guidance on how long your speech should be and what should be included – Examples provided
- Plea in Mitigation
- Examples of the mitigation you can offer and how to prepare and structure your delivery
- Key advice you should always provide the client
- Witness requirements
- Sentencing Guidelines
What are the requirements?
- Watch 1 hour recorded webinar
- This course provides one CPD point.
What is the target audience?
- The general rule when acting in Crown Court cases is ‘don’t get involved in a case where the client’s sentence could be more than your years of call.’
- As such, this course is essential for practitioners within the first 12 months exercising their Higher Rights of Audience and will also benefit more experienced advocates who wish to refresh their knowledge of crown court procedure, and the skills required in order to practice effectively within this environment.